Monday, March 24, 2008

rejoicing in fatshion

I am regressing in my love of fatshion from rejoicing in big butts, to zaftig women, to now just purely fat chicks. I make no excuses, I learned I just think they're beautiful. It's not even about American body image anymore.

"Fat is lipids out of place," Mary Douglas might have said. And this applies to women I consider fat. Basically, fat is the lipid content that changes your shape from a bottle to a football halfback or a potato. Nothing makes me happier than seeing a well dressed fat chick. One that isn't stuffed into a loose fitting sack or an empire waist pregnancy dress. And I've never seen as many well-dressed fat chicks as I have in Sarah Lawrence, fipsters. The secret to dressing well when fat is creating a waist. A lot of women, even with big shoulders, large ribs or a round, Falstaff belly look great with a cardigan, a dress fitted at the waist that flows outward. The cardigan creates the illusion of a smaller torso and the skirt makes the bottom area larger. I've been looking at the Fatshionista flickr pool and sometimes been joyous about the looks created, other times banged my head against the bed or desk (I procrastinate at night) If only she could have used more color contrast, this girl needs to be bolder! And sometimes, what is she thinking, with such a beautiful face, I wish I was there to help her. I have two favorites, a Parisian girl with a beautiful face and a perfect fipster. Observe the cardigan/dress combo:

The white cardigan goes perfectly with the zany green thrift store dress I would kill for and an interesting take on the three button belt that is so hot right now. This girl is a winner at matching bright colors. In this picture, she hits the nail right on the head on how to match clothes to blond hair. The hair is straightened, you can really see the razor layers. Later on she curls it and has black accents which I don't like as much. The girl is also a mean wearer of skirts that do nothing to hide her rectangular shape. The frilly detailing and cardigan on top and the belt achieve the effect of a waist, it's as if she's wearing one of those fitted high waisted skirts I'm so obsessed with.

More marvelous work on part of my favorite fatshionista.

The Parisian girl's style is more understated and, well, Parisian. She can wear an all black ensemble with the perfect belt. The texture and shine of the leather belt and bag is what makes the outfit work and not look monochrome.

As you can see, I love a cocktail length dress with a cinched waist. Here we can see how a jacket or cardigan narrows the frame. This girl's boobs point somewhat outward and her sleeves are also rather large, so she seems a bit top heavy in the shoulder area. Nonetheless, she rocks this. This girl also rocks something I normally would not suggest, a big loose shirt. She wears it with dark skinny jeans that contrast it, big beads that complement it, and a perfect jacket that narrows her torso. The slight color and texture variation just works.

My favorite outfit from her is when she combines the amazing black dress, the perfect belt, the cinching jacket, and a keffiyeh. The result, a pleasing hourglass shape that narrows her shoulders. And the scarf is a perfect accessory.

Of course I have to add this one.

There is a woman who is not particularly attractive, nor does she have a shape that's easy to work with, she comes out with potato sack looking outfits, then I saw this one and it just surprised me. I thought it was slightly edgier, brighter and more H&M inspired when I first saw it, but it makes a wonderful shape.


It's not, I am fat, but lovely. It's I am fat and I am lovely.

No comments: