Sunday, July 15, 2007

I just woke up to sounds of human wolf-crying and caterwhauling, maybe several people talking, maybe three youngsters homicidally drunk walking on the road arguing with each other, maybe people laughing, maybe, on closer inspection, it is the party advertised on the road across me by two signs near the road sign with a picture of a Ziggy looking man with a fedora opening his trenchcoat and a red arrow that said something like DSBB2 on it hiding his goods. When we walked by the house that was going to have it, there were a series of white round tables, some under a tent, and only one outside of the tent actually filled with four older men, one sitting on a cooler. They were blasting fifties music and it didn't look like we could come over and ask what party they were waiting for so my mom and I went on walking. Maybe it was a reunion of classmates in the fifties or people who like fifties music or a charity ball or a hobby convention. My house is on a main road and the house in question is on a road adjoining the main one that forms a loop.


This is what the road looks like, it appears between some trees. I come from the Ernest Shepard school of drawing.



This is what the loop as we call it would look like on a map.

I live in a small, very wooded suburb with two acre zoning (the "center" consists of several brick houses, a small market, a gas station, a post office, a gift shop, and a pharmacy) so the only noise I hear at night is typically cars rushing by, coyotes, other animals and I have no idea who my new "next-door" neighbors are who built a driveway separated from us by a large stone wall and live right in the woods, and who I am nervous can hear us arguing. And of course, though I walk around all the time, I have no idea who lives in any house I pass other than people who were once on my bus route (who I haven't seen since they were on my bus route) and get very excited to see someone my age or anyone walking at all because it happens so rarely.
So at night, I hear what I think is the barking laughter of men and a fifties song which isn't "In the Still of the Night." Maybe it was a reunion reel because the laughter was so measured? Maybe they were barking drunk? And my imagination, old and brittle as it is, went to the first movie media and pictured one of those giddy fifties outdoor parties with Christmas lights, bottles on the trees (Southern), and libidinal shy girls dancing with greasers. Why is it that I have these stereotypes about "when life was exciting?" Like cows fed on human growth hormone or the flesh of other cows, I am a girl fed on terrible commercial movies from the HBO2s, HBO familys, HBO cinemas, of the IO generation. Or maybe just some lonely person with no view past a failing academic life and shitty summer.

No comments: